SwearingDad Design is the online home to Simon Watson, all-round creative (yet practical) graphic designer delivering effective solutions for logos, identity, websites, packaging and print.
Based in Maidenhead, Berkshire, I have worked as a professional designer since 1991 and I am experienced in many disciplines including:
- Corporate Identity (logos, stationery, reports, literature, web and manuals).
- Websites (content managed, static or responsive – concept, design, build).
- E-commerce (content managed, static or responsive – concept, design, build with payment gateway integration, Shopify and Woocommerce).
- Internet ‘stuff’ including SEO, Blogs, Social Media and Email (concept, design, build and strategy).
- Artwork (from concept to final production and pre-press artwork).
- Packaging (graphics, concepts, materials and construction).
- Advertising (consumer, business to business and recruitment).
- Photography (art direction, location, retouching and comping).
- Presentations (design, artwork and copywrite for Powerpoint, PDF and websites).
- Events and Launches (consumer and B2B – plan, design and organise).
- Copywriting (packaging, press releases, websites, adverts and corporate literature).
- Proficient with Photoshop, Indesign, Illustrator, Acrobat, Office, Dreamweaver, XPress and so on.
Every piece of work I commit to is important to me. I aim for an honest and upfront relationship with all my clients and I make sure each project benefits from my personal ability and experience. So rather than the business equivalent of a one-night stand, I try to say it like it is.
If I honestly don’t think your ideas will work – I’ll tell you.
And if something doesn’t fit right with you – I’ll take the criticism and do something about it.
I’m pragmatic. If I see an opportunity for you (and some more business for me) I’ll suggest other directions or initiatives that I think you should be considering. If all this sounds right, it’s simple to get started with SwearingDad Design – to discuss a project or to sound me out on an idea, please contact me.
July 1991 – Present
Recent clients / projects include:
- Basement Photographic (logo, identity, main website and micro-website design + build).
- Comscientia (logo and website design + build).
- Doggy & Co (design + artwork for press release, exhibition panels + posters, Mailchimp email design, website consultancy).
- Funky Lamp Shades (Shopify e-commerce website design, build + populate, Mailchimp).
- JoJo’s Restaurant (identity and website design + build).
- Jonathan Speirs Scholarship Fund (website design + build).
- King of Shaves (website design, build + admin, packaging design + artwork, photo retouching).
- KMI Brands (holiday cover and freelance: design + artwork for Mini Moderns, Orla Kiely, Ted Baker and Sanctum).
- Mojo Skin & Hair Ltd (Shopify e-commerce website design, build + populate; social media branding; packaging design + artwork; photo retouching and montaging; press releases).
- Positive Pilates (identity).
- PS Renewables (infographics).
- Rebelle Boutique (Mailchimp email set-up, design + implementation).
- Shelley Rudman (website design + build).
- Stylish Seating (identity and website).
- The Barber Shop Group (website design + build).
You can view some SwearingDad Design projects here.
Selected previous clients / projects include:
- Bromley Sports (micro-website design + build).
- Challenge7 (identity, website design + build, social media set-up + branding and video)
- Craft Lite (packaging).
- Fox and Chave (maternity cover: design + artwork for clothing accessories).
- iPaintPro (logo, website design + build and social media branding).
- Licensed 4U (adverts and presentation templates).
- Links CRM (website design + build).
- Matt’s Kitchen (branding, website design + build, Mailchimp email set-up + implementation).
- Joshi Skincare (website design + build).
- Kent and Essex Inshore Fisheries and Conservation Authority (website design).
- Kristan Bromley (website design + build).
- MacConnal-Mason (racing car livery).
- Melrose Knight Developments (website design + build).
- Nicara Skincare (Shopify e-commerce website design, build + populate).
- Orbital Repair Solutions (website design + build).
- Palms & Soles (identity, literature and webpage design + build).
- Soho Furrier (logo update).
- Speirs & Major Associates (corporate website design + build and Made of Light project website design + build).
- Susie Felix Social Media (identity).
- Sussex Inshore Fisheries and Conservation Authority (website design).
- Tonbridge Accident Repair Centre (identity and website design + build).
- TPW Print (website design + build).
- Twomo (logo and website design).
- White Mountain Games (identity, packaging and website design).
- Willbar (website design + build).
The King of Shaves Company
Head of Design
May 2009 – December 2014
King of Shaves is the leading challenger brand in the shaving and skin care market. Product ranges include:
- King of Shaves Shaving and Skincare for Men
- Hyperglide System Razor
- Azor System Razor
- Prostyle Electrical Grooming
- Queen Of… Collection for Women
- Queen Of… Prostyle
- Kings 1965 Grooming for Man
I was responsible for pretty much all the design, artwork and copywriting including packaging, literature, events, commissioning illustrators, print and photography as well as updating and maintaining the company’s websites (including consumer, online store, subscription store, corporate and blogs), Facebook pages and YouTube channel.
Knowledge and Merchandising Inc Ltd (KMI)
Head of Design
February 2001 – May 2009
KMI owned or licensed many brands and I oversaw all the design, artwork and copywriting including packaging, literature, company and brand websites (as well as online stores and blogs), events and photography. Product ranges included:
- Azor System Razor
- Fish Hairstyling
- HED Hairstyling
- Hed Kandi Fragrance and Body Sprays
- King of Shaves Shaving and Skincare For Men
- King of Shaves KOS.PRO (Professional Range for Barbers)
- King of Shaves KU
- King of Shaves K2
- King of Shaves Woman (including the Azure System Razor)
- King of Shaves XCD
- Patently Obvious
- Speedo Protek Hair and Body Care
- Ted Baker Beauty (Cosmetics)
- Ted Baker Bodywear
- Ted Baker Fine Fragrances
Ambleglow Advertising & Design
April 1996 – January 2001
Art directed, designed and produced finished repro-ready artwork (including all photo retouching, images, illustrations, diagrams and typography) for consumer and B2B projects and advertising including corporate literature, promotional mailers and catalogues, employment manuals and incentive schemes, websites, packaging, logos and identities. Here I reached a milestone in design when I produced my first leaflet for a conservatory company!
I also designed, artworked and copywrote for the recruitment advertising side of the business for publication in both national and local press.
- Berkshire College of Agriculture
- Bray Pre-School
- Coppid Beech Hotel
- Johnson and Johnson
- King of Shaves (KMI)
- Legoland Windsor
- Oakley Court Hotel
- Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead
- Reading Borough Council
- St Regis Paper Company
June 1991 – January 1996
Designed and produced finished repro-ready artwork (including all photo retouching, images, illustrations, diagrams and typography) for high-end corporate literature and identity design projects.
- American Chamber of Commerce
- Biscuits Delacre (subsidiary of Campbell Biscuits Europe)
- European Commission
- Ford New Holland
- Lloyds Register
- Philip Morris
- Rolls Royce Aerospace
Middlesex Polytechnic (now Middlesex University)
BA Hons Graphic Information Design
1986 – 1991